Holder of the Chair of Civil Law, German and European Competition Law at Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf (since Oct. 1, 2016); Director of the Institute of Antitrust Law (IKartR)
President of the Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA) (since 2023)
Substitute member of the Commission on Concentration in the Media (KEK) (since 2022)
Antitrust and competition law, in particular with a focus on the media and Internet industries, state economic activity, and interfaces with intellectual property law; in addition, research on the fundamentals of private law ("evolutionary legal theory") and legal issues of theater
- Affiliated Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition, Munich (2013-2022)
- Visiting Professor, Université Aix-Marseille, Aix-en-Provence (02-03/2022)
- Visiting Scholar, University of Cambridge, Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Law (01-03/2017).
- Chair of Civil Law, Intellectual Property and Business Law, University of Bayreuth (2013-2016)
- Habilitation at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich ("Economic Order through Civil Courts") (2012)
- Senior Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition, Munich (2007-2012)
- Officer at the Federal Cartel Office, Bonn (2005-2007)
- Doctorate at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich ("International Antitrust Procedural Law") (2003)
- Studies and legal clerkship in Heidelberg, London (King's College), Munich and Geneva
- Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf Teaching Award 2019 for the lecture "Law 100 - Law and the Great Challenges of Today".
- Faculty Award “Ars legendi” for Legal Studies 2016
- Prize for Excellent Teaching of the Free State of Bavaria 2015 as well as Prize for Excellent Teaching of the University of Bayreuth 2015
- Michael Althen Prize of FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung) 2015
- Roman Herzog Research Prize Social Market Economy 2014
- Hearing as expert on the Digital Markets Act in the European Parliament 2021
- Hearing as expert in the Economic Committee of the German Bundestag on the 9th GWB amendment in 2017 and the 10th GWB amendment in 2020
- Main expert of the Economic Law Section of the 73rd German Jurists' Day 2020/2022 on the topic: Is stronger regulation of online platforms and other digital companies advisable?
- Expert opinions for the Federal Ministry of Economics (on the enforcement of consumer law by the Federal Cartel Office) and the Federal Ministry of Justice (on the law against rogue business practices), among others
- Hearing as an expert by the Federal-Länder Commission on Media Convergence 2015, by the government factions in the German Bundestag on the GWB amendment 2016, by the Economic Committee of the German Bundestag on the Bayer/Monsanto merger 2018, and by the Enquete Commission of the German Bundestag on "Artificial Intelligence" 2020.
- Moderator of the European Competition Day 2020 (with Vice-President of the European Commission Margrethe Vestager and Federal Minister of Economics Peter Altmaier); speaker at the DG Competition Conference 2019 "Shaping Competition Policy in the Era of Digitisation"; Non-Governmental Adviser of the International Competition Network (ICN); co-organizer of the 15th and 16th Annual Conferences of ASCOLA, the Academic Society for Competition Law, 2020 and 2021.
- Co-founder and co-editor of the Journal of European Consumer and Market Law (EuCML) (since 2012)
- Co-editor and editor (decision section) of the journal Wirtschaft und Wettbewerb (WuW) (since 2016)
- Co-editor of the publication series "Recht und Digitalisierung / Law and Digitization" (since 2019) as well as of the publication series "Europäisches Wirtschaftsrecht", both published by Nomos-Verlag (since 2017)
- Numerous books, studies and publications in professional journals and general media
- President of the Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA) (since 2023), previously Vice President since 2019 and member of the Board of Directors of ASCOLA since 2011
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Roman Herzog Institute (RHI) (since 2021), member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of Law, Market & Innovation (JLMI) (since 2021) on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE) (since 2020), on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Research Institute for Economic Constitution and Competition (FIW) (since 2016), on the Board of the Theodor-Heuss-Stiftung (since 2011, vice Chairman), on the advisory board of demokratisch handeln e.V. (since 2013), and on the board of the Köhler-Osbar-Stiftung zur Förderung von Kunst und Wissenschaft (since 2018).
- Member of the Faculty Council, Evaluation Officer of the Faculty of Law and member in various other committees of the faculty and the University