Prof. Dr. Christian Kersting LL.M. (Yale)
Christian Kersting holds the Chair of Civil Law, German and International Corporate, Business and Competition Law at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf (HHU). He is a director of the Institute for Competition Law, the Center for Business and Corporate Law as well as the Institute for Insolvency and Restructuring Law at HHU. In April 2020 Professor Kersting was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Law at HHU.
He studied law in Bonn (First State Examination 1997), Lausanne and completed his LL.M. studies at Yale Law School in 2002. Christian Kersting was awarded his doctoral degree in 2000 (Bonn) and he received his post-doctoral qualification in 2006 (Munich). His previous academic positions include a post at the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property, Competition and Tax Law as a Senior Research Fellow.
His research interests include civil law, German and European commercial law, corporate, accounting and capital markets law, comparative law, tax law and competition law. He is inter alia one of the editors of the German competition law commentary “Loewenheim/Meesen/Riesenkampff/Kersting/Meyer-Lindemann” and author of numerous articles and contributions to commentaries. Besides teaching in his research areas he is one of the academic supervisors of the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot activities at HHU. He also teaches European corporate law in the Vienna Postgraduate International Tax Law LL.M programme.
Professor Kersting is a member inter alia of the Academic Society for Competition Law (Ascola) , of the German-American Lawyers‘ Association , of the German-Swiss Lawyers‘ Association, of the Gesellschaftsrechtliche Vereinigung – wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht e.V. and of the Academic Advisory Board of the Forschungsinstitut für Wirtschaftsverfassung und Wettbewerb e.V. He also serves as a Non-Governmental Advisor (NGA) of the German Federal Cartel Office.
- Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU), Postgraduate International Tax Law Programme
Memberships & Activities
- Arbeitskreis Bilanzrecht der Hochschullehrer Rechtswissenschaft
- Arbeitskreis Europäisches Unternehmensrecht
- Deutsch-Amerikanische Juristen-Vereinigung e.V. (DAJV)
- Deutscher Hochschullehrerverband (DHV)
- Deutscher Juristentag e.V.
- Deutsch-Schweizerische Juristenvereinigung e.V. (DSJV)
- Düsseldorfer Gesprächskreis Kartellrecht
- Düsseldorfer Vereinigung für Steuerrecht e.V.
- Forschungsinstitut für Wirtschaftsverfassung und Wettbewerb e.V. (FIW), Member of the Scientific Advisory Board
- Gesellschaftsrechtliche Vereinigung - wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht (VGR) e.V. -
- Justizprüfungsamt bei dem Oberlandesgericht Düsseldorf
- Liasion Professor of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung e.V.
- Academic Society for Competition Law (ascola)